This part describes Preliminary and Basic Services which an architect will normally provide. These services progress through work stages defined by RIBA Plan of Work 2020.
- Inception and feasibility
- Discuss the client’s requirements; assess these and give general advice on how to proceed.
- Advise on any need for specialist contractors, subcontractors or suppliers.
- Carry out such preparatory work as may be necessary to determine the feasibility of the client’s requirements.
- Preliminary Services are normally charged on a time basis.
- Outline proposal and scheme design
- Prepare outline proposal and develop a scheme design; prepare a cost estimate; where applicable give an indication of possible start and completion dates for the building contract.
- Make where required application for planning permission. (NB The permission itself is beyond the architect’s control and no guarantee that it will be granted can be given.)
- Develop the scheme design; co-ordinate any work of specialist contractors, sub-contractors or suppliers.
- Carry out cost checks as necessary; advise on the consequences of any subsequent changes on the cost and programme.
- Make and negotiate where required applications for approvals under building acts, regulations or other statutory requirements.
- Prepare production information including drawings, schedules and specification of materials and workmanship in sufficient detail to enable a contractor to prepare a tender.
Tender to Completion:
- Invite tenders from approved contractors; advise on tenders submitted. Alternatively arrange for a price to be negotiated with a contractor.
- Advise on the appointment of the contractor; where required prepare the building contract and arrange for it to be signed by the client and the contractor.
- Administer the terms of the building contract; visit the site as appropriate to inspect generally the progress and quality of the work; make where required periodic financial reports to the client.
- Administer the terms of the building contract relating to the completion of the works; give general guidance on maintenance; provide a set of drawings showing the building and the main lines of drainage.
- We provide a full architectural service is provided from inception through to contract administration and completion.